Howdy to anyone following my progress. If you didn't know, I have been doing pretty good since leaving the hospital in mid June. A few bumps in the road here and there... My most recent bump has been a low grade fever that has progressively worsened over the past ten days. It got to be more of a problem today so we went into the triage weekend clinic this afternoon. The on-call doctor gave his professional opinion that I have Graft Vs. Host Disease (GVHD) of the gastrointestinal system. They started me on prednisone and extra fluids for a bit. They will do some more exhaustive testing to make sure of this diagnosis Sunday and Monday. Like Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits said in 1978, why worry? GVHD strikes about half of the stem cell transplant patients. It is usually manageable with minor medication additions. My fever is already going down after the first dose of prednisone. More later... Happy in Enumclaw- Greg
Welcome to my Blog
I chose the title of this blog to go with a Beatles song from 1969. The title made sense in October of 2009 because fighting cancer might be a drawn out challenge. I take inspiration where I can, and hope to motivate with my musings about music, my status and anything else related to life. Anyone can post comments; no sign in or account is needed, just click on the comments section towards the bottom of the post and write me a note. A splendid time is guaranteed for all. Live Happy- Greg
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." Mark Twain
7 comments:
Greg, glad to hear the better news. See you guys this week Love dad and Alice
Yes I agree, but I'm glad you went in and got on the predisone. Boy oh boy what a yesr it's been!
Love, Cathy
Prednisone is what they put my cocker spaniel on that made him gain weight. You could use the weight, but if you start looking like a bald version of him, I don't know that I can handle that. Live STRONG!
Greg,we made it to Cathy)s. see you this week and Cathy wants to know if there might be room for her for a day or two.? Love Dad let us know !
You are all welcome. Our schedule is light tomorrow, busy thursday, and light friday. We are at the clinic most of the day Thursday...
Greg
Sorry to hear about the fever but glad to hear it may be remedied. Maybe you need more cowbell?! You are doing amazingly well! I can't believe it has been 57 some days since your transplant. It is hot summer here now, in the 90s but getting a few thunderstorms now and then. Like Lance we just pick ourselves up and keep riding. Stay strong!
Mary D.
Thinking about you and hope you are feeling better! Make sure you have sun screen on today!!! :-) Live Strong and Happy!
Post a Comment