Welcome to my Blog

I chose the title of this blog to go with a Beatles song from 1969. The title made sense in October of 2009 because fighting cancer might be a drawn out challenge. I take inspiration where I can, and hope to motivate with my musings about music, my status and anything else related to life. Anyone can post comments; no sign in or account is needed, just click on the comments section towards the bottom of the post and write me a note. A splendid time is guaranteed for all. Live Happy- Greg


"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." Mark Twain



Wednesday, December 16, 2009

"I Wanna Be Your Man"

I said earlier that I would try to include other music besides The Beatles that made impact on our culture and the times. Well, in 1962 The Rolling Stones began to do just that. The five lads from England started releasing singles and albums just after or about the same time as The Beatles, but in many ways were polar opposites. Instead of Pop Rock and Roll, the "Stones" were Blues, Rock and Soul. The Stones toured the US in 1964 in part to visit Chess Studios in Chicago where many Blues greats had recorded. The Stones first single was a cover of Chuck Berry's "Come On" which didn't do too well.
*Their second single was penned by none other than Lennon and McCartney; "I Wanna Be Your Man." Man went to #12 in the U.K., and led to other hits like Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away." There will be more Stones history in future posts, but I can't avoid calling out the impact that they had on early rock music and culture. Stick around, we might learn something new...
I am out of the hospital and officially done with half of my 8 session chemo protocol. So far so tasteless! (You lose your ability to taste while on chemo quite a lot.) I am looking forward to getting over the hump and on my way to remission. Thank you so much for all of the comments and inspiration family and friends! Live Happy- Greg

6 comments:

John Szarkowski said...

Greg, So glad that you completed your treatment and are home again. The truth is "There's no place like home and sleeping in your own bed". We hope you are recovering and feeling better soon as time passes.
I always thought the Stones had a basic, solid rock+roll blues sound. Although my favorite is still 'Gimme Shelter'. Like a good sample of their music it's raw and powerful.
love,
John & Rosalie

Cathy Curths said...

Glad you are home, yes I agree there's no place like home! I pray that your body keeps getting stronger. Every day is a gift from God. Try to eat so you don't lose any more weight. Looking forward to spending more time with you and Yvonne soon!
Love, Cathy

Anonymous said...

Greg, good news. You are doing well, keep it up.
we will see you soon, 1 week from this Saturday.
Love Dad and Alice

Alice Lor said...

Hope you get a lot of good sound sleep and a lot of wonderful home cook yummy food!!! Rebuild your body, like a new born baby!!!! :-)

Greg Dymerski said...

John Szark- must be something in the polish blood. We have similar interests and opinions. I love Gimme Shelter, and a lot of the early 70's Stones as well. Those days are gone but not forgotten.

I am doing well today thanks to you all! As John Lennon said, Tomorrow never knows. (1966 Beatles song some folks thought was a George song.)

:)

John Szarkowski said...

Greg, After your reply (great minds think alike :) I had to go check my bookcase to see which Stones albums were there. Looking back, besides Let It Bleed the Flowers album comes to mind. There was always the comparison between Lennon/McCartney and Jagger/Richards (Good boys/Bad boys) Both were excellent at what they did best. Have you been enjoying all those remastered Beatles disks?
I hope that being at home now, in comfort, will speed your recovery.
love,
John & Rosalie